A versitle kitchen ingredient. Great used for salads and dressing or lovely drizzled over chicken or fish.
Makes approx 250ml
Prep time 20 minutes
Cooking time 15mins
4 tablespoons fresh Basil
3 cloves of garlic
250ml Rapeseed or olive oil
- Place the garlic in a small pan of boiling water and blanch the garlic cloves for 3/4minutes.
- Leave the garlic cloves to cool and then peel.
- Using a pestle and mortar, place the garlic cloves into the mortar and add the basil leaves, stripping the leaves from the stalks.
- Bash gently the garlic cloves and basil leaves and place into a pan.
- Add the oil to the pan and simmer very gently for 2-3 minutes, making sure all the garlic and basil leaves are stirred evenly into the oil to infuse.
- Take the oil off the heat and leave to cool.
- With the remaining basil, blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then place them into cold water to keep their colour.
- Put the basil leaves into a sterilised bottle. Line a small funnel with muslin and place to the neck of the bottle and pour the oil through, catching the remainders of the basil and garlic.
- Once the bottle is full, seal and store in a cool place, use within 4-6 weeks.
Tina is the founder of Humble Herbs Products and the author of 'A Cooks Guide to Herbs'