An easy, quick delicious fruity loaf cake with a hint of aromatic basil, a perfect match with banana. Can be served with cream or custard or simply on its own as an afternoon tea to share with your family and friends.
Serves 6-8 portions
Prep time 10-15mins
Cooking time 30-35mins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons finally chopped fresh basil leaves
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 50ml Vegetable oil
- 50ml milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 50g sultanas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 x loaf tin (lined or greased)
- pre-heat the oven to 180C gas mark 5 and line or grease your loaf tin.
- Place the flour in a large bowl (no need to sift), then add the sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix gently making sure all the dry ingredients are mixed together.
- In another bowl add the eggs and milk and stir, then add the vegetable oil. Mix the wet ingredients together until the eggs are thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to for a light batter.
- Once the ingredients are fully mixed through, add the chopped basil and mashed banana, sultanas and vanilla extract.
- Mix all these ingredients together, making sure all the dry ingredients are completely mixed through to a smooth batter.
- Place the batter into the lined loaf tin and place in the middle of the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes. (some ovens may vary).
- After 30 minutes check with a skewer to see if the skewer is clean if not place back into oven and leave for an extra 5-10 minutes. Once the cake is fully cooked through, take out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice into potions and enjoy!
Tina is the founder of Humble Herbs Products and the author of 'A Cooks Guide to Herbs'