Make use of late summer berries with this light and tangy dessert with a hint of thyme.
Serves: 6 people
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking time: approx 30 minutes
8 Sprigs fresh thyme
20g cherries (pitted)
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 tablespoon water
For the Sponge
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g self-raising flour
6x pudding moulds
- Place the blackberries, redcurrants, cherries and raspberries in a medium saucepan.
- Add the caster sugar and water to th epan then take six of the thyme spriggs and carefully strip off the leaves then add to the berries.
- Place the berries over a low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes until the berries are soft. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Grease the pudding moulds with butter and put the remainder of the butter into a mixing bowl.
- Add the caster sugar, eggs, vanilla essence and flour to the butter and mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combind together.
- Place the mixture evenly into the moulds and cover with foil, place into a steamer for approx 30 minutes.
- Once the sponges have cooked through carefully take out of the steamer and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Tip the sponges onto small plates and serve the berry sauce on top of the sponge, letting the mixture run down the sides.
- Garnish with the remaining sprigs of thyme and serve.