A warming dessert with a hint of thyme, great for using up stale hot cross buns, serve straight from the oven with cream or custard!
Serves 4-6 people preparation time 10-15mins
- 6 hot cross buns
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 25g butter
- 10g sultanas
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1tbsp caster sugar
Heat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, 325°F, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oven to 170C 325F Gas mark 3
- Grease a large ovenproof dish with a little of the butter, making sure the sides of the dish are well greased.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and butter them like sandwiches. Once buttered, cut the buns into halves and place into the ovenproof dish.
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar together in a bowl and sprinkle in the thyme leaves, leaving a couple of sprigs for decoration.
- Pour the milk mixture over the buns and sprinkle the sultanas on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35mins or until the buns have soaked up the liquid and the tops of the buns have become golden.
- Once cooked take out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes before and garnish with the remaining sprigs of thyme before serving.
Tina is the founder of Humble Herbs Products and the author of 'A Cooks Guide to Herbs'