As we head into the game season, try these quick & easy pheasant strips with a tangy beetroot & thyme twist!
Prep time -20-25mins
Cooking time 15-20mins
Serves 2-3 people
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 pheasant breasts
- 1 egg (beaten)
- rapeseed oil (for drizzling)
- 175g panko breadcrumbs
- 300g cooked beetroot (cubed)
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- 25ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime (zest & juice)
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven 180c gas mark 5
- Place the cubed beetroot into a large bowl add the grated carrot and 1 tablespoon thyme leaves and mix, add the cider vinegar, lime juice & zest and a teaspoon of sugar and steep for at least an hour.
- Cut the pheasant breasts into strips, add the beaten egg to a bowl, season with salt & pepper.
- Place the pheasant strips into the egg mixture and leave for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs and the rest of the thyme leaves into a bowl and mix. Take a pheasant strip and roll into the breadcrumbs making sure the strip is coated. Repeat the process until all the strips are coated then place onto a baking tray.
- Drizzle rapeseed oil over the strips then place into the oven and cook for 15 -20 minutes until the pheasant is cooked, and the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Give the beetroot salad a stir and serve with the warm pheasant strips.